Thursday 7 April 2016

Interview with Ashley Drew, author of Never Stop Falling

We've got a special guest today! Ashley Drew, author of Never Stop Falling has stopped by Please Pass the Books for an interview.

And so, without further ado....


Q. Let's start by describing your book in a tweet (140 characters or less)

A friends-to-lovers, second-chance romance that will tug at your heart strings and have you rooting for the couple to the very end.

Q. What was the hardest part of writing this book?

The most difficult part about writing this story was keeping my characters consistent throughout, and at the same time, keeping them real and human. Since the story is written in two points of view, I had to make sure that I kept the two voices distinct from one another and that they never sounded alike or similar. Writing a full-length novel happens over a long period of time, so between the time that you start writing to the very end, it wouldn’t be difficult to stray from the character that you started with. You basically have to continue to ask yourself the same questions. Would my character do this? Would he or should react this way? Consistency with the characters is key to a well-rounded story.

Q. Do you see yourself in any of your characters?

I think I’ve managed to sprinkle a little bit of myself into most of my characters! Although I’m not as impulsive as Corinne, I do crave adventure like she does. I’d love to be able to skydive one day, but I don’t know if I would have the courage to actually take the plunge! There’s a scene in the beginning of the book in which Corinne wants to randomly go get a tattoo, and a personal experience of mine inspired it. When I was eighteen, I decided that I wanted a tattoo, and although I did sort of think about what I wanted prior to getting it, I did it impulsively. I left school one day, found a tattoo shop, and I left with my first tattoo on my back! Luckily, I didn’t do what Corinne planned on doing—spinning around ten times and randomly choosing a design off the wall of worst tattoos!

On the other hand, I actually think I’m more like Nicholas than I am Corinne. I tend to be by-the-book, always wanting to plan things ahead of time—I’m “Type-A!” And like Nicholas, I am very family-oriented and will always put my family’s needs ahead of my own.

Q. Tell us some fun facts about yourself!

1) Growing up, I hated reading!
2) Then I read The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks, and from that moment on, my nose was always in a book.
3) In my freshman year of college, I wrote a bucket list, and one of the items on that list was to write a novel one day.
4) I watched Titanic seven times in the movie theater in the first three weeks that it was released.
5) I love the San Francisco Giants, and I’d proudly walk into Dodger stadium sporting my orange and black.
6) Name an episode of Friends, and I can recite a line from it.
7) J’adore Paris.
8) Give me wine and cheese and I’ll do a happy dance.
9) I can sing the entire RENT album from beginning to end.
10) But you really wouldn’t want me to sing it because I can’t carry a tune to save my life.

Q. Do you have any favorite quotes or a favorite passage in the book you want to share?
The passage that I love is when Corinne realizes her feelings for Nicholas run deeper than friendship:

Only, that’s a lie. I don’t think kissing Nick would feel like kissing a brother at all. The thought has crossed my mind one too many times now, way more times than what’s considered safe before venturing outside platonic territory. What it would feel like running my hands up over his chest, around his neck, and through his hair, grabbing tight fistfuls of it while pulling those lips to mine for one heart-stopping, mind-blowing, out-of-this-world kiss, as I completely melt into him.

Into those piercing eyes. Those perfect lips. That toned body.

I bring the glass to my lips, only to realize I haven’t actually poured water in it.


Holy shit. I think I just had a Harry Burns epiphany. How the hell did this happen? Nick is my pal! He’s supposed to be the Wayne to my Garth. The Beavis to my Butthead. Not the Harry to my Sally. But the more I sit on it, the more that notion becomes less of the truth, and it shakes me to the core.




A San Francisco Bay Area native, Ashley Drew currently lives in Los Angeles. When she’s not going cross-eyed after writing for five hours straight, or burying her nose in a book, you’ll find her sprawled on her couch watching General Hospital, having alien conspiracy discussions with her husband over a bottle of bubbly, and dancing to Taylor Swift’s 1989 album with her daughter.

Author links:










Never Stop Falling by Ashley Drew
Publication date: March 1st 2016
Genres: Contemporary, New Adult, Romance

She didn’t expect to fall for her best friend.
He was always waiting to catch her.
Corinne Bennett lives in the moment. Whether she’s skydiving out of an airplane, or setting off on the road to anywhere, she’s ready to dive into the next adventure. That is, if best friend and always-by-the-book Nicholas Kelley doesn’t put his foot down on her wild stunts first.
When Corinne gives in to her growing feelings for Nicholas the summer before their freshman year of college, she takes the ultimate risk, making this one adventure he has longed to explore with her.
But the moment they take that irrevocable leap, a shocking revelation blindsides Corinne, exposing her vulnerabilities, baring her fears, and shattering her beliefs about love. With their future—and most importantly, their friendship—now clouded in doubt, she must decide if love is really worth the risk.
Because when it comes to love, you never stop falling.




1 comment:

  1. These were fun questions! Thanks for hosting me today!

    ReplyDelete